Every year, a large number of people apply for immigration via the Canada immigration website to migrate to a place where they would have a better lifestyle and financial stability. The majority of them aim to shift in Montreal. However, there is a need to know some things about the island before going there. The tops eight that you should know are:
- Montreal is one of the few places where you cannot turn your car or vehicle on the right side on a red light. According to their laws, it will assist pedestrians to walk safely. However, you can turn right on red in other parts of Quebec.
- The most common word in Montreal is “dep” that means convenience store. It is a short form of dépanneur, a French word. You can get milk, cigarettes, chocolates, wine, beer, or groceries from these stores. They are in the corner of every street.
- While walking on the streets, you might see the text “5-a-7” or “cinq-a-sept” on the boards of cafes, pubs, restaurants, and bars that offer deals and discounts. “5-a-7” means Happy Hours in Montreal English. During these two hours, you can have a seat at the terrace and have food in the open sky.
- Montreal is the best place to visit because of festivals. People celebrate numerous festivals and carnivals all year, especially from June to September. The events are going on in every other street on the island. So, visit the city and be part of their festivals.
- Although there are festivals in winter in Montreal, it is not the right season to visit the city. The weather is extremely cold and snowy. Therefore, it is better to come there is a warmer season. You can come from June to September to explore the place comfortably.
- It will not be difficult for you to live in Montreal and visit the island because 60 percent of residents can speak English and French yet you have to learn some basic words of French to understand what natives are saying.
- The strange truth of Montreal is that its north is northeast or northwest. The natives will tell you that St. Lawrence flows from west to east but it flows from north to east. Therefore, it is better to follow their instructions but don’t believe that their east is east. It is north.
- People call local transportation as a metro or bus in Montreal, unlike Toronto where people say subway or TTC to underground trains.
So, these are eight things that you should know. You can also take part in the Australia immigration program if consulate rejects your application to migrate to Montreal.